The Brockville & 1000 Islands Tourism Office hires summer seasonal positions as Tourism Ambassadors. We are currently seeking motivated team members for the 2017 season, if you are interested in applying, please see the most recent job description below. Positions are available from Mid-May to the beginning of September, with hiring taking place in early May of each year.
POSITION: BROCKVILLE TOURISM AMBASSADOR – 2017
Reports to: Tourism Administrator
Hours of work: 30-38 hours/week
Overview: Brockville & 1000 Islands Tourism is seeking to fill summer season positions to deliver visitor services from within the Brockville Tourism Office. The Tourism Ambassadors for Brockville operate as the first point of contact between out of town visitors and the City of Brockville, making excellent customer service skills the highest priority. All visitors and passers-by to Brockville should receive the best welcome to the City that is possible, have their questions answered, and be able find out about more activities in the area that they were not yet aware of. Additionally, the visitor should leave feeling that they had a great experience, would return again, and would recommend visiting Brockville to others.
To accomplish this, our Tourism Ambassadors must have a broad knowledge of the City and the surrounding region, excellent communication and interpretation skills, be able to problem solve, and be a great team player.
All applicants must be currently enrolled as a full-time secondary or post-secondary student and be returning to full-time studies in the Fall. French language proficiency is required.
- Exceptional customer service (in person, telephone and email) and coordinating skills.
- Team player who is able to work unsupervised
- French language proficiency
- Greet visitors and respond to all inquiries in person, via telephone and by email in a friendly, knowledgeable and resourceful manner.
- Listen and interpret visitor needs based on verbal information and observation. The ambassadors are encouraged to use various tools to assist with their communication – diagrams, maps, internet, email, GPS, etc.
- Develop an excellent knowledge base of Brockville and 1000 Islands tourism related products.
- Provide clear, concise directions and give information on Brockville and the entire Eastern Ontario area.
- Assist with accommodation reservations for visitors and communicate activities that will ultimately increase the length of a visitor’s stay.
- Assist visitors in building a vacation itinerary that focuses on the Brockville and District first.
- Proficiency with cash handling and using a Point of Sale Retail System for the sale of souvenir merchandise and event tickets.
- Ensure Blockhouse Island Visitor Centre and Tourism Office is a clean and welcoming environment for a visitor that projects a professional and favourable image of Brockville.
- Additional languages considered an asset.
- Track and maintain adequate supply of tourism literature in the Tourism Office and Blockhouse Island Visitor Centre as well as the racks at City Hall.
- Assist with Downtown brochure distribution as requested.
RETAIL / TICKETS
- Restock and price merchandise as required at the Tourism Office and seasonal Visitor Centre.
- Photograph new inventory and write descriptions.
- Handle financial transactions and deposits for tourism merchandise. Balance cash with items sold on a per shift basis.
- Sell and track ticket sales for Island Breakfast and Brockville Ghost Walks and balance ticket sales
- Track daily the number of visitors through the Tourism Office and Blockhouse Island Visitor Centre as well as phone calls to the office
- Review and update information binders on a daily basis.
- Prepare visitor mail out packages and local welcome packages
- Print weather / marine forecasts for visitor display.
- Assist with the development of promotional materials.
- Conduct visitor surveys as required.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the Brockville Ghost Walks.
- Maintain a clean and welcoming environment including weeding flower bed, watering flowers, dusting and cleaning surfaces when needed.
- Interact and co-operate with all other staff members as a team player.
- Complete research on local businesses, organizations and festivals and events that would create unique and exciting feature articles for travel trade media, local media and other forms of promotion.
- Support the development of promotional tools that can be utilized to highlight the local district. These may include, but not limited to, photographs, promotional CD/DVD, media releases, familiarization tours, etc.
- Communicate with local businesses on opportunities for free promotion of their business, organization, and festival and event through various website and marketing opportunities.
- Attend staff meetings
- Arrive 10 minutes prior to your shift and ready to work.
Please send a resume and cover letter highlighting your qualifications
for this position to email@example.com care of Kendra Lorimer no later than May 5, 2017
Thank you for your interest.